To keep SVOS participation fees as low as possible and make this event a success, we rely on artist volunteers. We ask every participating artist to volunteer at least six hours to help make the event the best that it can be. Review the list below and let us know how you can help. This is an excellent way to meet other artists and volunteering with SVOS looks great on your resume.
To volunteer send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration Data Entry
Assist the registration team to help process artists' registratioin materials.
- This job is needed during December and January.
- Work from home using your own Internet access
- Some training is required which takes about an hour.
- Enter artists' information into the SVOS registration database
- Upload images to the SVOS web site.
- Send an e-mail to each person registrated and follow up to correct errors.
Working with the Exhibit Manager (and sometimes, the exhibit Juror) coordinate one of the exhibits throughout the year. Many of the exhibits are in the winter or early spring but others are done throughout the year.
- Working with the Exhibit Manager, compose and e-mail the "Call to Artists" for the exhibit.
- Participate in the selection team to select the pieces for the exhibit. Communicate to each artist which entries were accepted or rejected.
- Create an inventory list of all pieces in each exhibit along with artists contact information. Learn to use Excel or similar program.
- Create and print information tags for each piece of art in the exhiit.
- Send reminders about drop-off and installation instructions.
- Check in artists at the exhibit venue
- Send reminders about removal instructions and check-out artists as they remove their artwork.
Social Media Team
Support SVOS in marketing their events throughout the year, with strategy and execution of relevant social media placements.
- Edit and post social media content created by various SVOS teams and the Board of Directors on demand.
- Keep existing Facebook and Twitter accounts populated with information about SVOS, our events and our artists.
- Generally a couple of hours per week with heavier demand during March and April.
Advertising Graphic Designer
Be a part of the SVOS Marketing Team using your graphic design skills to produce print display ads for various local newspapers in the SVOS area.
- Work with the marketing manager and advertising buyer to create and prepare appropriate-sized advertising copy.
- Help develop a compelling graphic and written message that informs the public about the benefits of visiting artists during Silicon Valley Open Studios
- Steward, adapt and evolve branding to complement existing marketing.
- Work with Adobe Creative Suite (or equivalent) to facilitate ease of use and provide all materials for archives.
Advertising Media Research
Be a part of the SVOS marketing team by helping execute an effective advertising program for the May open studios event.
- Contact designated publications to obtain quotes associated with various sizes of display ads and publication dates.
- Maintain orderly records and lists to assist the marketing team in chosing the best placement strategy.
- Discuss with the Marketing Manager to help develop an effective print display strategy to meet marketing and budget objectives.
- Help coordinate media placements and ensure the proper ad copy is delivered by the specified deadline.
- Maintain a calendar of run dates and communicate upcoming placements to the SVOS team.
Marketing Research Assistant
Help the Marketing and Executive team understand the cost structure of other art related events in the area to ensure that SVOS fees are competitive to other venues.
- Contact and interview various sources that we provide to learn about other art related venues.
- Work with the Executive Director and Marketing Team to determine the type of information desired. Develop a questionnaire that will provide the framework for each interview.
- Contact other sources that you may know to obtain similar information.
- Maintain orderly records and present the information is a clear and succient format to aid in effective decision making about future benefits and fees.
Be a part of the SV Talk Art video team.
- Assist with each monthly production of SV Talk Art
- Learn how to use various video equipment for taping and editing the TV program. Requires training at the Peninsula Media Center (Training fees paid by SVOS)
- Requires a comittment to participate in at least 10 shows over a two year period
Web Site Content Writer
Write stories about art and artists for the web site that art targeted to the art buying public. This will include interviewing (via phone, e-mail, or in person) various artists and writing the "Profile of an Artist" story monthly during the year. (More frequently during March and April). In addition, other short stories about art related topics such as "Understanding Different Styles", "How to Identify Quality Artwork", as well as similar topics.
Artist Pick-up Place
Provide a location in your neighborhood where nearby artists can come at various times (established by you) to collect the directories and yellow signs that they will need for their open studios site.
- Before the two-week pick-up period, select the days and time that nearby artists can come to collect material for their site.
- Monitor the supply and alert SVOS if you need more material before you run out.
- Maintain a list of artists who come to collect the material and how much they need so we can do a better distribution in future years.
- You'll need a safe, dry place (porch or garage, for example) to keep the material.
Deliver Artist Directories and Yellow signs to the Artist Pick-up places.
- This activity occurs during a two week period during the first half of April
- Usually requires about two trips to each of 5 or 6 pick-up places to ensure that each location has a supply of mateiral.
- Requires a light truck or SUV
- Some lifting is required as boxes of directories weigh about 50 - 60 lbs.
Directory Proof Readers
This job requires several volunteers.
Directory proof readers will review the Artists Directory before the final submission to the printer. This will
involve carefully reading the preliminary proof copy of the Artist Directory for accuracy, clarity, spelling, and usability of content by comparing each entry with the information for that artist on the SVOS web site.
In addition, the reviewer will
examine images to insure color and clarity are of good quality. Make a list of all discrepancies for the designer and registration manager.
Other proofreaders will be part of the Map Review Team. This task is best done as a team effort to ensure that every open studios site is correctly displayed on the maps. This requires that the team meet for a few hours in early March.
Working from your own home computer using either an Excel Spreadsheet or Internet access, enter various types of information to help the marketing team communicate with art lovers.
This work can be done at your convenience during the period between November and March.