Guidelines for Preparing Your Images
Image Guideline for SVOS
Please submit 3 representative digital images of your work which will be shown on the SVOS website. One image should be identified as the primary image which will additionally be used in the printed directory and in the ‘browsing’ and ‘search’ section of the website.
Artists are highly encouraged to review other artists' images on this website and look at artists in their media to see acceptable images and ideas to best show their work.
Your images should be replaced every year. We are learning that visitors remember images from year to year and will skip a studio they have seen before if the same images are displayed. They assume the artist has nothing new to show.
Images will be displayed for one year on the website so it is important to carefully select your images.
- Each image should be of a single piece of art
- Do not send images of collections, or multiple images
- The only exception is for items that are normally sold together such as a pair of earings, a cup and saucer, nested bowls, teapot and cups etc.
- Images should look sharp with accurate color when sized up to 6 inches wide. Look at them at this size before submitting.
- The design of the directory favors images that are in horizontal format and allows us to present your images with best use of the available space.
- Your directory image should be at least 300dpi (dots per inch) - This will be shown both on the website and in the printed map guide not larger than 2 inches wide.
- An ideal directory image should stand out with good contrast colors if possible. Small details and subtle coloring will not be important at this size.
- You may either take your own photos of your work and edit appropriately or have a professional photographer take your images and edit them.
- 2D Artwork must show only the art with no frame or background
- 3D Artwork may show a plain color background – look at the SVOS website in your media for good examples of this.
- Professional images which are straight and cleanly cropped must be submitted.
- Please do not submit logos or advertising copy as an image.
- Your images should represent the majority of the work you will show at your studio.
- Images in different media may be submitted to represent the full body of your work. Note – only your directory image will be printed and shown in the 'Browse All Artists' feature of the website so choose this carefully.
Format and Size
- Your 3 images should be submitted in .jpg or .jpeg format. This is usually the standard produced from a digital camera.
- Set your camera to the highest quality (or Hi-res) setting before taking your photos.
- The SVOS web site will automatically re-size your images to the correct size for the web so long as the images are large enough to start with. So don't worry about that.
- Images should be at least 600 pixels wide.
- Note the maximum size for images is 2MB (mega byte). Larger files will not be accepted and are not required for quality images.
- Images that are very narrow and wide or very skinny and tall are not recommended as they do not make efficient use of the available space.
Tips for Photographing Your Art
PDF From SVOS University